Could use some help!

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering
tylers740

Could use some help!

Post by tylers740 »

Most people would not know what I m talking about but I hope somebody does! Would the "Custer channel wing" be a good project? I can make my own wind tunnel! :lol:
Tyler S. :P
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Post by Craig_Bridge »

With some thought, you can probably come up with a great project based on Custer's channel wing; however, your observation
I can make my own wind tunnel!
either indicates you don't understand how a channel wing / prop-fan form a venturi and the associated bernouli principles involved in generating lift or you were trying to test the experts.

Wind tunnels are designed to test the lift of wing shapes. During the CCW-1 experiments the wings were progressively cut off or had spoilers attached to the point of having no lift from the wings. A "channel wing" does NOT have to generate lift by its air speed. The lift is generated by the speed of the air over the wing.
-Craig
tylers740

Post by tylers740 »

After I posted I turned up a goldmine of info on the wing so I hope I interpreted the info right. The "channel wing" does not need the body to be moving fowards, it only needs air to be moving across the wing. I did not understand this at first.
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Post by Craig_Bridge »

Your interpretations are correct. It helps to do some research before posting :D
-Craig
tylers740

Post by tylers740 »

yaaaaa... :oops:

Return to “Physical Science”