Science Fair Question for my backround research paper

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

jazzmina95

Science Fair Question for my backround research paper

Post by jazzmina95 »

Hi,
my name is Jasmine Smith and I attend Middle School in Texas. I'm
working on a Science Fair project and wanted to ask you a few questions
as part of my research.

My project is the effect heat has on vitamin C in juices. My question to
you is, why do we need to refrigerate juices? I realize the short
response is that if we did not refrigerate juices, it will spoil.
However, I wanted to ask you the Scientific reason for this.

thank you in advance!
Jasmine Smith

need the answer by saturday 9/22/07 8) 8) :D
Jasmine S.
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

Jasmine,

The scientific reason why things spoil has to do with bacteria. You see, bacteria are almost everywhere: in the air, on our hands, in the fridge, on the counter, etc. When we open a bottle of fruit juice, air gets inside the bottle and this air often has bacteria in it. Refrigerating the juice helps keep the bacteria from reproducing. When the bacteria start to reproduce a lot, then the juice spoils. So, be making it harder for bacteria to reproduce, refrigeration helps keep the juice from spoiling so quickly.

Let me know if you have any other question. I'm so excited that you are doing a science project!
All the best,
Terik
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

Terik Daly wrote:Jasmine,

The scientific reason why things spoil has to do with bacteria. You see, bacteria are almost everywhere: in the air, on our hands, in the fridge, on the counter, etc. When we open a bottle of fruit juice, air gets inside the bottle and this air often has bacteria in it. Refrigerating the juice helps keep the bacteria from reproducing. When the bacteria start to reproduce a lot, then the juice spoils. So, be making it harder for bacteria to reproduce, refrigeration helps keep the juice from spoiling so quickly.

Let me know if you have any other question. I'm so excited that you are doing a science project!
Jasmine,
This is a really cool project and pretty important for many people who rely on juice for most of their vitamin C. Terik is right about bacteria spoiling food, but the answer about why we keep food cold also relates to your science fair question. Many types of chemicals (including important ones like some vitamins) react with oxygen and get "broken". They change in to other chemicals with less useful properties. Think of how an apple turns brown when you cut it as an example. It isn't dangerous (like when something spoils from bacteria), but it can make the food look bad and contain less nuitrients. Putting a piece of food in the fridge won't stop this process, but it can slow it down some. If you are interested in this topic, you can research this. This process is called 'air oxidation' and you can search for key words such as "air oxidation of vitamin c and temperature" and related words.

Good luck! If you have any other questions, please post back!

Louise
jazzmina95

Post by jazzmina95 »

Can minerals be absorbed. :shock:
Jasmine S.
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

jazzmina95 wrote:Can minerals be absorbed. :shock:

Absorbed by what? We use certain minerals to build our bones and make certain types of proteins. We absorb these minerals from food. Is that what you are asking?

Louise

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”