chemistry of fire

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
nikki20

chemistry of fire

Post by nikki20 »

I'm doing my background research for science fair. Do you know anything about why fire needs oxygen or anything else about fire? Plz send soon my research is due this Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thx! :D [/img]
Nicole's Science Project
geoffbruton
Former Expert

Post by geoffbruton »

Hi nikki20,

That's a great question! Can you please tell us what research you have already done yourself and what you have been able to find out?

I would recommend typing your question (or some specific keywords) into your favorite search engine and looking at some of the results. I just had a go and very quickly got some excellent information that should really help you answer that question.

If you have any questions once you have done that, please be sure to let us know.

Good luck!
Geoff.
Geoff Bruton
Firearm & Toolmark Section
Ventura County Sheriff's Department
Forensic Sciences Laboratory
Scronjsn11
Former Expert

Post by Scronjsn11 »

I agree with geoffbruton...but also...fires needs oxygen like human beings need it. You can suffocate fire as well. Go to the USDA Forest Service, they have many key topics on fire on their site.
nikki20

Post by nikki20 »

Thank you very much! So far I got information on elements of fire, combustion, and the discoveries of fire. Also I need tips for my reseach draft
My science fair project is " How does the amount of oxygen affect the rate of burning?". Thx! :D
Nicole's Science Project
geoffbruton
Former Expert

Post by geoffbruton »

Hi nikki20,

It sounds as though you're off to a great start! Did the information you were able to find lead to any ideas as to what you think will happen regarding how the amount of oxygen will affect the rate of burning? Based on your research so far, what do you think would happen if you were able to increase or reduce the amount of oxygen present during a fire?

On a slightly different issue, does your project have a practical / demonstration aspect to it? It sounds as though it could be VERY dangerous, so please let us know what you plan on doing!

If this is something that you plan on demonstrating (with both permission and assistance from your teacher), do you have any thoughts on how you plan on measuring and/or controlling the amount of oxygen present?

Please let us know your thoughts, and good luck!
Geoff.
Geoff Bruton
Firearm & Toolmark Section
Ventura County Sheriff's Department
Forensic Sciences Laboratory
nikki20

chemisrty of fire

Post by nikki20 »

On my project i will be using small candles. i will put them on a small plate with water on the bottom. then i will be using a can and add holes on the top to limit the amount of oxygen available. for safety i will have water nearby.
Thx!
:D
Nicole's Science Project
Scronjsn11
Former Expert

Post by Scronjsn11 »

Nice experiment! I hope everything works out for you. also, good ideas about precaution etc. etc. Good Luck!
wildfirefox
Former Expert

Post by wildfirefox »

nikki20:

Just to add to your excellent approach, when using a source like candle, always look for a volume container (in this case is your can), to be twice the height of your candles and two to three times the volume of the melting base. Here's an example:

If your candle height is 3 inches, try to find a clear cylinder (round is always perfect for air volume control), or a rectangular container that is 6 inches tall.

Now, burn your candle until it melt completely. What ever the melting area of the candle, try to find something between twice to three times the size of that melting area.

To control the amount of air in the container, my suggestion is to have a small hole drilled on the side of the container, so you can extract or increase the amount of air inside that container.

Why? You'll have a blast learning about it once your start doing it. Good luck.
Those who can see that do not exist are geniuses. Those who can see what exists are brilliant. Those cannot see what exists are ignorant.
- Lao Tsu

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”