Plant growth

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
VivaLaSM

Plant growth

Post by VivaLaSM »

I'm doing a project on the effect of LED lighting on plant growth.

What would be the best plant to use to test for results from now until the science fair??
SGelman
Former Expert

Post by SGelman »

I would suggest a healthy house plant with lots of leaves, such as a geranium. Look for a plant that is very common and low maintenance and you should be fine. You might want to refer to this site for some extra information: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... ?from=Home

Your project idea sounds like an interesting take on the more common question about colored lighting so you should find some interesting results. Hope this helps!

-Susan
wildfirefox
Former Expert

Post by wildfirefox »

Excellent project to pursue. LEDs are used more common nowadays, and there are quite a bit of side effects from the LEDs than one can comprehend. The effects are not significant, but, exposed over time, there will be complication. What's better to test on than with plants.

My suggestion on top of Susan's suggestions would be using LEDs in different wavelengths. You have LEDs that has IR wavelength, and you have LEDs that matched up to UV. UV wavelength will yield a greater result since it mimics the sunlight. IR wavelengths may or may not kill the plants. These are just some clues to send you off on your merry little way :wink: for your researches.
Those who can see that do not exist are geniuses. Those who can see what exists are brilliant. Those cannot see what exists are ignorant.
- Lao Tsu

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”