thank you

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
tiggerlily55

thank you

Post by tiggerlily55 »

i have to grow lima beans ( big and small) in plastic cups with tap water. i have to state the problem, and i don't understand what that means.
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by ChrisG »

Hi Tiggerlily,

It is difficult for any of us to say, because we can not see the full instructions that were given to you. My guess is that 'state the problem' means that you should write down the question that you are trying to answer with this experiment. What is the question that you are trying to answer?

Please, when you use this forum, open just one thread and keep all your questions and responses in that single thread. Otherwise, it becomes confusing and messy for the experts trying to help you and the other people trying to use the forum.

Chris
Lise Byrd
Former Expert

Post by Lise Byrd »

Tiggerlily,

From your last post I saw that you want to see what makes the lima beans grow faster. What is your independent variable? That is, what thing are you changing for each lima bean plant you grow that you expect will make them grow faster or slower? Are you perhaps growing them in different amounts of light or different colors of light, or giving them different amounts of water?

Your problem statement will be a question asking whether your independent variable will affect your dependent variable (the trait you hope to change by changing the amount or color of light, for example). As an example: If you hope that giving the plants more light will make them grow faster, your problem statement might be, "How does the amount of light lima bean plants are grown under affect their growth rate?"

I hope this helps you. Reply to this post if you still have questions.
Sonia

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”