THE CHEMISTRY OF HAIR HIGHLIGHTS!!!

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

sarahrizk

THE CHEMISTRY OF HAIR HIGHLIGHTS!!!

Post by sarahrizk »

Hi I am doing th experiment on this website called the Chemistry of Hair Highlights. I have to write a research paper on it and I am required to have references ( examples of past studies and the include the results of those past studies on your topic) In other words I need someone who did this experiement or something nearly like it and I cant find this anywhere!!! :D :lol: :!: :!:
vanessa123

Post by vanessa123 »

well if u need help ive done this project in the past. :D
Victor Lu
Former Expert

Post by Victor Lu »

Hi sarahrizk,

I would first recommend visiting the basics of the chemistry involved with hair highlighting. There is some good information regarding the colors and pigmentation related with highlighting here:

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howthings ... 01203a.htm
http://www.style-hair-magazine.com/hair-coloring.html

As far as prior experiments, unfortunately, I cannot find a specific prior experiment regarding hair highlightning. However, I would recommend searching on a broader scale, such as chemistry of hair experiments, and see if you can find similar experiments relating to hair highlighting from there.

-Victor
bradleyshanrock-solberg
Former Expert
Occupation: Software Engineer/QA Lead - Quality, Risk Assessment, Statistics, Problem Solving
Project Question: BS Caltech Engineering & Applied Science (Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science)
Research in Traffic and Ceramic Composites
25 years doing IT, various roles, for multinational manufacturing company
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by bradleyshanrock-solberg »

This may sound strange but...

Do you know anybody who changes their hair color a lot? They may not know the chemistry but can probably give you a lot of experimental evidence of bizzare things that happen when hair coloring chemicals interact with different people.

Better still, go to a somebody who does dye jobs for a living - most places that cut/style hair for anything but the most inexpensive prices have an expert on staff. She may actually know some of the chemistry and certainly can give you lots of information about how it's not just the chemicals, it's the chemistry of the person's hair - both their natural body and anything else they've been putting in their hair recently. (and sometimes even what they've been eating!)
bradleyshanrock-solberg
Former Expert
Occupation: Software Engineer/QA Lead - Quality, Risk Assessment, Statistics, Problem Solving
Project Question: BS Caltech Engineering & Applied Science (Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science)
Research in Traffic and Ceramic Composites
25 years doing IT, various roles, for multinational manufacturing company
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by bradleyshanrock-solberg »

In addition to anecdotal evidence, people who dye hair for a living will usually be up on the trade magazines, and some of those may have studies that you want in them.

They can tell you where to look to do your research. I imagine most studies of hair highlighting are done by the corporations that make the products, not by the usual academic research establishments.
ginny_gaz

Post by ginny_gaz »

to sarahrizk,

I wanted to ask-have you completed your project?? How is it going? If you have can you please help me on it?
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

ginny_gaz wrote:to sarahrizk,

I wanted to ask-have you completed your project?? How is it going? If you have can you please help me on it?
I've posted a response to your other thread. It is generally best to keep all your questions in one place. The chemistry of hair coloring and the chemistry of tea are quite different, so I don't think sarahrizk's research wil help you much.

Louise
ginny_gaz

Post by ginny_gaz »

oh, I think you took me wrong.

I am actually willing to do either of them...but as I can't find much help in Tannic Acid, I was wondering if I should go for Hair Highlighting then...

Thanks for your help though, I am doing my project on Hair Highlighters now, hope it will be done on time!
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

ginny_gaz wrote:oh, I think you took me wrong.
Yes, I did mis-understand. There is a lot of stuff for tannic acid, but probably not something you could do in one week. Maybe next year you could work on tannic acid.
Thanks for your help though, I am doing my project on Hair Highlighters now, hope it will be done on time!
This project looks interesting. Good luck!

Link for hair-highlights chemistry project:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... ?from=Home

Louise
ginny_gaz

Post by ginny_gaz »

Oh, thanks!!

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”