how do I graph successful trials?

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

SebK

how do I graph successful trials?

Post by SebK »

My experiment is to find "at what height will a marble loop-the-loop?" - found on this website. I started with my guess of 154cm which passed 10 out of 10 trials, but very easily - so I went lower to find the minimum height we needed. Here is what I observed: At 145cm, 10/10 successfully looped the loop, at 137cm, 10/10 suceeded...127cm, 10/10 and 125cm, 8/10 succeeded and 123, 7/10 succeeded. If I'm supposed to graph the dependent & independent variables, how would I do that in a pass/fail test? Also, I started with the dependent var. as the height in cm., and independent as the rise...but it doesn't seem right now that I did the experiment. Could I change the question a bit to fit better (like "What is the minimum height needed for a marble to successfully loop-the-loop?) :?:
Seb
Sebastian
SebK

PS - Due 11/2

Post by SebK »

I changed my experiment so you can ignore the other one on my profile about the ping pong!
Sebastian
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

I would recommend using a bar graph. On the x-axis I would have the each of the heights as a single bar and plot on the y-axis the number of times the marble successfully completed the loop the loop.

Let me know if this isn't clear or if you have any other questions!
All the best,
Terik
deviledcute

Post by deviledcute »

well i would recomend the same axis as Terik but i think a scatter graph might work just as well but i might not have quite got what u r doing.
;) help the deviled cute ;)

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”