Confused with Science Fair ideas-Help, ASAP!

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

SciFi1
Project Question: Can your own thoughts of how you perceive yourself manipulate your own DNA?
Project Due Date: February 1, 2007.
Project Status: I am just starting

Confused with Science Fair ideas-Help, ASAP!

Post by SciFi1 »

Dear Expert(s),
I have chosen a few Science Fair ideas to work with, but I'm not sure about which one I should work with. I want to do a project relating to the life sciences, but I also want the experiment a few days, or shorter, to complete. However, I also want to work on a project that is at a higher level, and is completed thoroughly. Please acknowledge that I don't have access to a laboratory/laboratory equipment. Here are some of the ideas I might work with regarding my conditions mentioned above:
a)Comparing the effects of antibiotics on gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria.*
*I don't have access to a laboratory, though.
b)How Boyle's law and phonation (speech) are interconnected.*
*I'm not sure about how to do a thorough experimentation on that.
c)How Fast Does an Alka-Seltzer® Tablet Make Gas? + Can You Change the Rate of a Chemical Reaction by Changing the Particle Size of the Reactants?=
Can an antacid tablet like Tums or Alka-seltzer be used to protect soils from acid rain?*
*I was thinking of performing all three of these experiments for my Science Fair project. However, I'm not sure if that will work very well. Also, I'm not sure
about whether these ideas are even interconnected, and I'm not sure about how to conduct the experiment on checking if an antacid tablet can be used to
protect soils from acid rain.
d)Which is good for performing well: focusing very hard, or being relaxed?*
*I'm not sure about how to complete a thorough experiment on this idea.
e)Turmeric milk- It smells and tastes bad, but does it work? Does it contain bacteria?*
*I'm not sure if I will simply find my answer just by researching it, the idea sounds simple, and I'm not sure on how to conduct the experiment, thoroughly.
f)How does 7up with salt treat stomach aches? Doesn’t it contain CO2? How does salt get rid of the bubbles?*
*This seems a little basic, I might be able to find the answer to this question by researching, and I'm not sure about how to complete the experiment.
g)Solubility of gases in liquids*
*This is not a narrowed objective, but I was simply considering it.
As you can see, I'm having difficulties with choosing my Science Fair idea. I'm also on a fast-approaching deadline. I'm looking for an experiment that is I can understand by doing adequate research (i.e.not something where I have to learn about the brain and specific neurotransmitters), an experiment that is thorough and can be repeated several times, and where the experiment is easy enough to complete with household items (I like to work with food and mixtures). Please give me some input regarding choosing the idea from the list above, and aknowledge my conditions. Also, when you've chosen an idea that may be suitable for me, can you please give me the thorough procedure for the experiment? I would really appreciate your input. PLEASE POST REPLIES, ASAP!
Any type of help would be really appreciated.
Thank you.
P.S. Sorry for writing such a long message. :oops:
P.P.S. If you were wondering, I've decided not to do a project on thoughts and DNA (like it says on my profile) because it's too complicated. :?
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Confused with Science Fair ideas-Help, ASAP!

Post by ChrisG »

This discussion is continued in a separate thread in the Grades 9-12 forum:
http://www.sciencebuddies.com/science-f ... =28&t=3421
SciFi1
Project Question: Can your own thoughts of how you perceive yourself manipulate your own DNA?
Project Due Date: February 1, 2007.
Project Status: I am just starting

Sorry

Post by SciFi1 »

Sorry about that. :oops:
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Confused with Science Fair ideas-Help, ASAP!

Post by ChrisG »

No prob. Happens all the time. ;)

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”