Where can I find fruitflies?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

mythology

Where can I find fruitflies?

Post by mythology »

I am in search of a significant way to capture and/or buy fruitflies.
Please leave any information, links, etc. that you may have.
Thank you!
staryl13
Former Expert
Project Question: Neuroregeneration
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by staryl13 »

Hi!
I would suggest you talk to an adult and ask them if they can find a way to obtain fruit flies for experimentation. In any case, check out this link:
http://www.buyfruitflies.com/
A quick google search should bring up some results as well. Good luck with the project!
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." -Isaac Asimov
pach
Former Expert

Post by pach »

If there are any research facilities/universities in your area, find out if they have fruit fly research labs in their biology divisions. If so, try contacting the head of the lab for help.
davidkallman
Former Expert

Re: Where can I find fruitflies?

Post by davidkallman »

Hi mythology,

If you consult http://en.allexperts.com/q/Reptiles-704 ... -anole.htm , you'll get the suggestion "You can also buy flightless fruitflies from the pet store." There is the caveat that the animal you're feeding the fruit-flies to may need a variety based on its wild diet (so, some experimentation is in order!).

The site suggested by staryl13, does, however, seem more complete, particularly if you have the time for shipping the fruit-flies. (and it appears that you do have the time based on "Project Status: I am just starting".)

So, points to consider are:

1. project schedule
2. the use of the fruit-flies, if its short-term based on the purpose of getting the fruit-flies, short or long term.

On another note - mythology is a great screen name. How did it come to be?
Cheers!

Dave
MariahG
Former Expert

Re: Where can I find fruitflies?

Post by MariahG »

Hey!!
Well, usually you can buy fruit flies at a nearby pet store, people actually feed those things live to their pets. . . heh, anywho, if all else fails, you can always capture them using this little method I've learned. outside, make a box out of wood, or basically anything sturdy, and cut a decant sized hole in it (about 3 inches). Then, put a piece of fruit (ive foudn that bannanas work best, into the box. After, over the hole, put a piece of mesh over it so no other animals can get to it. Laslty, sit back and watch those little buggers attack the bannana, and collect them. To obtain a sufficent amount of flies might take a couple of days, but I found it amusing to watch.=]
Hope it helped a bit!!! :D If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.
~Mariah
Hi! My name is Mariah and I'm here to help ^_^

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”