Solar Power--Where to buy solar cells?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Bbrooke
Project Question: What effect does crystalline structure have on a solar cell's voltage output?
Project Due Date: Febuary 1st
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Solar Power--Where to buy solar cells?

Post by Bbrooke »

I have looked all over for an online store where I can buy Amorphous, Single Crystal Silicon, and Polycrystalline solar cells. I can find each of these...but they're on seperate sites, and have different surface areas/ average voltage outputs. Preferably, I would like to find a site that had all three of these solar cells; since that seems impossible, though, what I need now is to find at least these three solar cells with the same voltage output. (for example, all of them could be .5 volts, or 3 volts...) The price range I'm looking at is under $30 for each cell. Any science store reccommendations? I've already exausted Edmunds and Wards Science. Thank you!
bradleyshanrock-solberg
Former Expert
Occupation: Software Engineer/QA Lead - Quality, Risk Assessment, Statistics, Problem Solving
Project Question: BS Caltech Engineering & Applied Science (Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science)
Research in Traffic and Ceramic Composites
25 years doing IT, various roles, for multinational manufacturing company
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Solar Power--Where to buy solar cells?

Post by bradleyshanrock-solberg »

I'm not sure you can get all of them identical but you can probably work out the formula to account for the different geometries.

Have you had algebra? It's a basic practical algebra problem.

The formula is:

length*width*(constant based on material) = voltage

If you know length, width and voltage you can determine how the three materials stack up compared to each other.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”