Earth

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Colefletch
Project Question: How do you measure freon gas in hair spray cans?
Project Due Date: 1/11/08
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Earth

Post by Colefletch »

How do you measure freon gas in hair spray cans?
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Earth

Post by ChrisG »

Hi Colefletch,
Can you explain a bit more about your experiment and what you need to know about freon in spray cans? Are you trying to measure concentrations or just to detect whether freon is present?

Chris
Willz
Former Expert

Re: Earth

Post by Willz »

Hello colefletch,

Like ChrisG has stated, it would be beneficial to us if you clear up what your experiment focuses on.
As for freon gas in hairspray cans, I think that hairspray cans no longer contain freon or any other CFCs. Freon is now mainly used with refrigerants. Do you happen to have old hairspray cans? If not, then the current hairspray cans probably do not contain hairspray.
Cited from http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/environ ... p365o.html : Freon is a CFC used in most air conditioners and refrigerators. The physical properties of Freon make it a particularly good refrigerant. Other CFCs are used to make Styrofoam, to clean electronic equipment, and in certain types of fire extinguishers. CFCs were formerly used in aerosol spray cans (such as hair spray) until this use was banned in the U.S. in 1978.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”