How to measure/compare bubbles in a bottle???

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

HeatherMeacham
Project Question: How to measure/compare bubbles produced by shaking 4 different bottles containing 4 different shampoos to see which one produces the most bubbles.
Project Due Date: 1-14-08
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

How to measure/compare bubbles in a bottle???

Post by HeatherMeacham »

My daughter is in 6th grade and is doing her science fair project on "What shampoo produces the most bubbles?" She intends to use four different 500 mL water bottles adding one of four different shampoos in each bottle; however, she needs help on how to determine/measure the amount of bubbles are produced in each bottle. Any advice on this experiment would be greatly appreciated-thank you.
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: How to measure/compare bubbles in a bottle???

Post by ChrisG »

One possibility would be to use a bicycle pump to blow a certain amount of air into the shampoo solutions. Whatever method she uses, she should try to be as consistent as possible (e.g. same amount of air expelled over the same amount of time at the same depth in the solution) when blowing bubbles in each of the bottles.

Good luck!

Chris
jeffreyshu
Former Expert

Re: How to measure/compare bubbles in a bottle???

Post by jeffreyshu »

One way to compare is to compare the volume of total bubbles or the size of individual bubbles or a combination of both. On a related note, you could also measure how long the bubbles last until they all pop.

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”