leaves and light

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Hailey Schulz
Project Question: leaves & light
Project Due Date: Feb 6, 2008
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

leaves and light

Post by Hailey Schulz »

I am a week into my leaves and light project (idea from science buddies). I could not get the marker to stay evenly on the transparency paper so I used colored window catcher tissue paper. After a week the leaves have not changed at all except for the leaves covered with black paper, they are turning yellow. Is this normal? I think that it doesn't matter what color of light is absorbed. Am I right or did I mess the experiment up? My mom asks- What about artificial light? Don't plants make food out of artificial light (grow lamps)? And does indirect light have a color spectrum? Thanks :D
taylorjones4
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: leaves and light

Post by taylorjones4 »

Hailey,
sounds like a great and interesting project you have. I'm unfamiliar with the procedure you are following since I did not read your initial question. I agree, I don't believe it matters what color it is absorbing at this point. Yes, plants can continue to grow and/or make food with artifical light (such as growing lights) - - they just need the right amt of light. All light has a color spectrum - I would give the leaves more time to possibly change color. I haven't had the pleasure of constructing any experiments with leaves/lights but I'm certain some of our experts might be able to shed some light on your question. Keep up the great work! :D
adance
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by adance »

Hi Hailey,

I think that plants would not be so good at absorbing green light--that's why they look green, the green light bounces off instead of getting absorbed.

Since you are using tissue paper instead of plastic sheets, I wonder if the paper lets some white light through? You might try looking at a crafts store for colored plastic sheets, or try using your printer to print color on the sheets, since the marker isn't working well. Taylor's suggestion of waiting a little longer is also good--maybe the particular plant you're using takes some time to respond.

Good luck,
Amber
Amber Dance
Science Buddy
Lise Byrd
Former Expert

Post by Lise Byrd »

Hi Hailey,

Was the black paper you were using also tissue paper? If you were, then your plant might just take a while to respond, as other Experts have suggested.

If you were not using black tissue paper, you might try covering your control leaves with black tissue paper. You would already know that leaves covered in black construction paper will turn yellow within a week, so you can see if black tissue paper does the same thing. If the leaves are still green at the end of the week, you could probably say that the tissue paper was letting in some white light through the pores. The plants would be able to use this small amount of white light to absorb the color they normally use. In this case, I second Amber's suggestion of trying to find/make some transparent, colored sheets. I believe that you can also find colored Saran wrap in a grocery or party store--that would probably work well.

Hope this helps! Feel free to post if you have more questions,
Sonia

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”