How is the quality of lipgloss measured in quantative result

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

scholar91
Project Question: How is the quality of lipgloss measured in quantative results in the cosmetic industry
Project Due Date: January 31,2008
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

How is the quality of lipgloss measured in quantative result

Post by scholar91 »

How is teh quality of lipgloss measured in quantative results in the cosmetic industry. I need a way i can measure this with or without using an instrument if possible. Thank you
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: How is the quality of lipgloss measured in quantative result

Post by ChrisG »

Hi Scholar91,
Welcome to the Ask an Expert forum.
"Quality" is a very broad term that can encompass many features of a product like lip-gloss. There are health considerations (e.g. allergic reactions, toxicity), aesthetic considerations (do people like the way it looks and feels) and financial considerations (does it sell). If you are studying lip-balm, then there are the issues of how well the product protects & soothes chapped skin. You will probably need to choose one property for testing. Do any of these ideas appeal to you, or do you have some other ideas for a specific aspect of "quality" that you could study?
vishwa
Former Expert

Post by vishwa »

Here's a link that could give you an idea - http://www.ehow.com/how_2093388_find-qu ... reens.html
As you have been rightly advised, key points that you can focus are (in no particular order) (a) how long it lasts (b) how well it sells (c) how safe it is (to your lips) and (d) cost.

Good luck!
vishwa
artlab
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by artlab »

I've had students test how long various lip balms last (begins to melt--or the viscosity, how fast/slow it "runs") under a heat lamp (provides a constant temp.) You could make your own lip balm and alter the amount of one of the ingredients to see how this factor effects the consistency, etc. From what my students have researched in the past, it seems that how long the lipstick stays on ones lips is of great importance. The website, http://www.madehow.com/Volume-1/Lipstick.html gives good information about how lipstick is produced...including "quality control" that is used. This may give you some ideas.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”