What bread does mold like best!!! HELP!!!!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

peytoncuz
Project Question: Mold
Project Due Date: march 1 2008
Project Status: I am just starting

What bread does mold like best!!! HELP!!!!

Post by peytoncuz »

im doing a project on what bread does mold like best- rye, wheat, white. I need tips, whatever FAST :!: :!: :!:

Thanks

:D
taylorjones4
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: What bread does mold like best!!! HELP!!!!

Post by taylorjones4 »

sounds like a fun project. When I previously worked with some projects like yours - I noticed the greater the yeast and sugar content of the bread - the quicker the bread would mold. Look at the water content of the bread (should be on the label) - the dryer bread is - the less likely it will mold. Remember mold grows best in warm, dark and moist conditions. Below is a web site which I thought was interesting regarding mold. Try using sourdough bread in your experiment also. I hope this helps! Taylor
http://ezinearticles.com/?Bread-Mold-Sc ... &id=308382
Willz
Former Expert

Re: What bread does mold like best!!! HELP!!!!

Post by Willz »

Adding on to what taylorjones4 has said, bread that contains calcium propionate or other preservatives tend to grow mold slower than bread that do not contain preservatives. This means that when testing the different types of bread (white, wheat, rye), keep in mind that even bread of the same type can grow mold at different rates, depending on whether preservatives are present or not.

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”