Help me please - project due monday

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

5rangers
Project Question: paw preference
Project Due Date: february 4, 2008
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Help me please - project due monday

Post by 5rangers »

My 4th grader is doing "Paw Preference" experiment. You see which paw a dog will use the most. I can not figure out what is the control and independent variable. Can any one help me?
barretttomlinson
Former Expert

Re: Help me please - project due monday

Post by barretttomlinson »

This is the best reference on dependent and independent variables that I have access to:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... bles.shtml
elin105
Former Expert

Post by elin105 »

Hi 5rangers, it looks like the independent variable would be the dog used- for example, dog number 1, dog number 2, etc, and the control variable would be the species of animal (in this case, dog), or type of treat used.

Good luck!
HeatherL
Former Expert
Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by HeatherL »

Hi 5rangers,

The independent variable is the thing that you change, and the dependent variable is the thing you're measuring. As elin105 explained, the thing you're changing is the identity of the dog, and the thing you're measuring is the paw preference. You're looking to see whether paw preference changes with dog identity - in other words, whether paw preference DEPENDS ON dog identity.

I hope you and your child are enjoying the experiment!

Cheers,
Heather

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”