One Bad Apple - Ethylene Experiment

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

anned
Project Question: We are doing the "One Bad Apple Spoils the Whole Bunch" experiment. We do not have 2% KI soln available but can get KI crystals. We can get 2% iodine solution but is $12 per oz or $48 per 130ml. Any alternatives for making a staining solution?
Project Due Date: 3/7/08
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

One Bad Apple - Ethylene Experiment

Post by anned »

Hi,

I am doing something similar to the fruit ripening experiment and am getting unexpected results. I have a pear not in a bag and it is ripening the fastest. Second fastest is the pear alone in the bag. The least ripest is the pear in the bag w/ a banana. (The pear in a bag w/ a brown banana is equally unripe, as is the pear in the bag w/ 3 bananas.) I am judging by looks and feel as I cannot get staining solution. The pears are turning yellow as they ripen. There is condensation in the bags w/ bananas but almost none in the bag with just one pear. How can I research what is happening? I thought the ethylene from the bananas would make the pears in those bags ripen faster! Thank you.
HeatherL
Former Expert
Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: One Bad Apple - Ethylene Experiment

Post by HeatherL »

Hi anned,

You do have some unexpected results! :o

I searched "pears and ripening" in Google, and came up with several hits. Here is a link to one site that explains how best to check for ripening in pears: http://www.usapears.com/educators/ripening.asp
Note that color is not necessarily the best indicator, and that pears ripen from the inside out!

I hope this helps you with your research.

Good luck!
Heather
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

One more possibility for you to think about: Were the pears equally ripe to begin with? If the one in the bag by itself was more ripe to begin with, that could affect your results.
Willz
Former Expert

Post by Willz »

Combined with what mostman and MelissaB have said already, make sure that you start off initially with pears that are equally as ripe, or at almost the same ripeness, by testing the pears like the website states (provided by mostman). This way, you may get more accurate results; the ripeness may have been your problem.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”