Creating an attractive display board

This forum is dedicated to students preparing for ISEF. Experts will answer your questions and provide advice based on their first hand ISEF experience. Talk to other students who will be attending and prepare together.

Moderator: berkeleywebs

skatj
Project Question: Engineering project: to design and prototype a low-cost autopilot system for UAV platforms
Project Due Date: 4/1/08
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Creating an attractive display board

Post by skatj »

Hi, my fair is on April 1st and I've been thinking about what to do for my display board. My project is somewhat unique so I have a lot of visuals and information (figuring out what to leave out will be challenging), so I'm not too worried about that. However, I want an attractive background.

This photo caught my eye while browsing the ISEF website:
http://www.intel.com/Education/images/i ... InPage.jpg
and this one
http://www.intel.com/Education/images/i ... rofile.jpg

Where can I purchase a board with a background like this (i.e., not just a solid color)? Is it affordable?

Thanks
vtrip
Former Expert

Re: Creating an attractive display board

Post by vtrip »

These boards are professionally printed on large inkjet printers (usually at places like kinkos or other professional sign printers/makers) and cost a LOT of money--on the order of a few hundred dollars. Its a sizeable investment, and unless you feel comfortable spending around $400-$600 on a display its not worth it. From my experience the kids that have these fancy boards have generous laboratory or school support to do so.
Yingna
Former Expert

Post by Yingna »

I don't know about an entire one-piece board like those pictures that you showed, but at my school, people do sometimes have their board panels printed (two side panels and one middle panel). Currently, my school is trying to get a deal with the UPS so that our boards can get printed at a cheaper price and my teachers have told me they have settled at ~$150 for the side panels and middle panel (this is for 35 x 54 and 18 x 45.2 inch panels). If you look around online, there are also printing companies that may print for cheaper.
swimmer12
Project Question: The Effect of Aeration on Yeast Metabolism
Project Due Date: done
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Post by swimmer12 »

Even if you can't afford to do all of the fancy printing on your board, one think that I like to do is use cardstock from the scrapbook store. If you have Microsoft Publisher, go to it and pick a theme for your backboard (soap bubbles is my favorite). Even if you don't have the program, it can still work. Just pick three colors that you want to be the main colors on your board. Then just have fun!

Return to “Intel ISEF Preparation”