Stability...Could you please help me!!!

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Tashika
Project Question: Stability
I need to plan and design an experiment to see if height affects stability
i know its short notice bt please help!
Project Due Date: monday March 17, 2008
Project Status: I am just starting

Stability...Could you please help me!!!

Post by Tashika »

how would i test if height affect the stability of an object?
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Re: Stability...Could you please help me!!!

Post by Craig_Bridge »

You first have to define what you mean by stability of an object. In mechanics, this can be how much force, torque, or energy is required to alter an object's orientation. In a gravitational field for an object at rest on the surface of the earth, I can also be expressed as how far can the surface that the object is sitting on be tilted before the object tips over. If the object is moving relative to some reference, the problem is no longer a static problem but involves dynamics so the definition of stability is more complex.

Give us an example of what kinds of situations you want to deal with so we can better help you understand what reasonable definitions of stability might apply to your problem.
davidkallman
Former Expert

Re: Stability...Could you please help me!!!

Post by davidkallman »

Hi Tashika,

Good question!

Providing “does height affect the stability of an object?” to answers.com, you get the following (among the top hits):

1. http://school.discoveryeducation.com/sc ... avity.html - defines stability as chance of falling over and gives an experiment.

2. http://www.answers.com/topic/stability?cat=health - includes the following text “The stability of an object is inversely related to the height of its centre of gravity above its supporting base.” In other words (among objects with same packing bottom to top), shorter objects are more stable.

So, reference one gives an experiment. And reference two provides an answer, which you can treat as an hypothesis to test using reference one's method.
Cheers!

Dave

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”