I need help with a science project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

TFerguson1
Project Question: which foods do middle school students prefer. It's dealing w/independent, dependent and controlled variables, also hypothesis
Project Due Date: april 25
Project Status: I am just starting

I need help with a science project

Post by TFerguson1 »

My daughter is doing a project, including independent, dependent & contolled variables. The topic: What foods would 20 students (10 boys & 10 girls) at Jackson Middle School prefer: hamburger & fries, hot dogs & chips, mac & cheese or peanut butter & jelly sandwich.
Last edited by TFerguson1 on Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
davidkallman
Former Expert

Re: I need help with a science project

Post by davidkallman »

Hi TFerguson1,

The Science Fair Project Guide at:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... l?From=tab

defines the basic concepts. Please consult there and let know if it answers your questions.

Re: your question on variables, there are two "variable" links located under Constructing a Hypothesis on the referenced page. And there are many other resources.
Cheers!

Dave
Wheties820
Project Question: Adrenalin and running or cold and hot in running
Project Due Date: 5/6/08

Post by Wheties820 »

Just make a poll but i would not recomend this project
TFerguson1
Project Question: which foods do middle school students prefer. It's dealing w/independent, dependent and controlled variables, also hypothesis

Post by TFerguson1 »

Thanks for your help.this topic was assigned by the teacher. Do you think I should request a topic change, because i'm not getting nowhere with this project. I need some serious help to get this project going. The date has changed to May 2
davidkallman
Former Expert

Post by davidkallman »

Hi TFerguson1,

Obviously Wheties820 thinks you should get a new project. Hopefully he/she will post the reasons.

Some reasons I can think are:

- if the topic is "what foods do middle school students prefer," the difficulty is the population. It would be enormously expensive depending on how you define the population: e.g., restricted to one county, state, or country. Also, the result becomes less meaningful with smaller populations.
- if you restrict the population to students at a particular school, the project becomes more manageable, but:
a. are the results meaningful?
b. one still has to deal with sample size to get acceptable accuracy. There are formulas here.
Cheers!

Dave
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

I agree with David; you might want to narrow the topic somewhat, both in terms of the study population and the actual study. 'Foods', after all, is a HUGE category. There is no possible way you can test all or even most foods.

I would suggest narrowing it down to something that interests you--for example, 'Do students at Middle School X prefer a higher fat/salt/sugar content in their food?' and then give students a blind taste-test of low-fat/sugar/salt items vs. normal fat/sugar/salt items. There are many projects that can be done along those lines.

In my mind, this wouldn't require a complete topic change, but you might want to check with the teacher and make sure. I think he/she may have just given you a broad topic and expected you to narrow the scope of the project on your own, but I don't know for sure.
rebeccamaman
Former Expert

Post by rebeccamaman »

I agree with MelissaB that you should be able to narrow the project. Since there seems to be a time crunch, you may want to limit the # of foods tested to allow time for the research and data collection.
Rebecca Aman MS, CLS (NCA)

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790
TFerguson1

Post by TFerguson1 »

I updated the topic, tell me what you think. thanks
davidkallman
Former Expert

Post by davidkallman »

TFerguson1 wrote:I updated the topic, tell me what you think. thanks
Hi TFerguson1,

I must be confused; I don't understand your post. What updates were done to the topic? What is the topic now?
Cheers!

Dave
TFerguson1

Post by TFerguson1 »

I narrowed the to topic per one of the post suggestions..to 20 middle school students instead of just middle school students..also instead of foods, I chose 4 foods..
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by ChrisG »

Hi TFerguson,
I think that is wise to narrow the range of possible food choices. If you can get more than 20 students, that's great. Don't limit yourself to any particular number of students if you are able to get more.

Currently, it is not clear what would be your independent and dependent variables for this experiment. It would help if you had a hypothesis - for example "As compared to middle school girls, middle school boys will prefer meat-based foods (hamburger or hotdog) over non-meat foods (mac & cheese or pb&j). In that case, you could say that the independent variable is the gender of the students, and the dependent variable is the ratio of boys or girls who prefer meat to non-meat foods.

I hope that helps.
Chris

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”