help on hypothesis/question/problem

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

competición_reina2u
Project Question: Are we supposed to answer our own hypothesis/problem/question???
Project Due Date: April 20, 2008
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

help on hypothesis/question/problem

Post by competición_reina2u »

Please Help!!!! My question for my science fair project is
How can herbal remedies be anitbiotics?

ARE WE SUPPOSED 2 ANSWER OUR OWN QUESTION???

Please help! I need 2 finish y display board and report and this is holding me back.. :x THNAKS SO MUCH!!!
:D
Amor es un regalo; tomar es damar.
~Anita
MelissaB

Re: help on hypothesis/question/problem

Post by MelissaB »

Yes, the purpose of doing the experiment should be to answer the question you posed when you came up with the experiment. On your display board, your results/conclusions should be geared toward answering or at least discussing this question.

That said, I think you might want to consider re-wording your question a little, but I'm not sure because I don't know what exactly you did. Can you tell us about your experiment? I suspect you may have actually answered the question, "Do herbal remedies have antibacterial properties?"
competición_reina2u
Project Question: Are we supposed to answer our own hypothesis/problem/question???
Project Due Date: April 20, 2008
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Post by competición_reina2u »

so that should be my question? my hypthesis/question is
If I combine the tannic acids from the black tea and the citric acid from a lemon the foot will seem cleaner, they will perspire less, and the muscels will be more relaxed. Why does this happen?

But what you're saying is my question would be better seved as "Do herbal remedies have anitibacterial properties?" I think that makes more sense now. And we answer the question through the experiment but also in the conclusion part of the report????
Amor es un regalo; tomar es damar.
~Anita
adance
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by adance »

so that should be my question? my hypthesis/question is
If I combine the tannic acids from the black tea and the citric acid from a lemon the foot will seem cleaner, they will perspire less, and the muscels will be more relaxed. Why does this happen?
From what you've written, I don't see how your experiment has anything to do with antibiotics? Are you comparing to antibiotics in any way, or using petri dishes to look at bacteria? If not, then a more appropriate hypothesis might be, "Herbal remedies make feet cleaner, drier, and more relaxed" but it's hard to tell without knowing what your experiment was.
Amber Dance
Science Buddy
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

Hi,

Amber's right--with the new information you've given us, I think your hypothesis should be what she said.

Can you tell us what you did/plan to do and what you measured? That will really help us help you.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”