Is there a light that detects bacteria?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

gellas
Project Question: What type of light is needed to detect bacteria on surfaces? I heard that a black or blue light can shine on a surface in the dark and any "germs" would glow. I want to compare disinfectants for my project. Can anyone tell me where to obtain these lights? Thanks.
Project Due Date: Mon May 5, 2008
Project Status: I am just starting

Is there a light that detects bacteria?

Post by gellas »

I am doing an experiment on comparing disinfectants. My teacher said in the past, other students have used a certain type of light (black, blue, ultraviolet?) that can detect the presence of bacteria in the dark. My mom went to the mall and couldn't find one. Does anyone know where to get this. My project is due next week and may not have time to use agar dishes. Thanks.
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Is there a light that detects bacteria?

Post by ChrisG »

Hi gellas,
Your teacher was probably talking about this sort of product:
http://www.glogerm.com/
If that does not seem right, please tell us more about your project and I'm sure we will be able to help.
Chris

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”