Chemistry Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

wickedangel
Project Question: Chemistry and Physics Project ideas
Project Due Date: 01/07/2008
Project Status: I am just starting

Chemistry Project

Post by wickedangel »

hey, can anyone please tell if this will be a good chemistry project topic...I have chosen- "To analyse the amount of sodium bicarbonate in bread"....am not able to find any material regarding this.....can anyone please help how to proceed for this??

Any new topic for this investigatory project is also welcome, but it has to be really very different and significant too.....

As I have worked upon this idea.instead of sodium carbonate it should be sodium bicarbonate.....[Baking Powder]. and .......... yes its possible to do this experiment.
The amount of baking powder present in the bread can be determined by titrating it with a strong acid like HCl using the principles of acid-base titrations.
i am still working upon it.....and hope to conduct it successfully...Any help on 'titrations' would be very beneficial for this project.........thanks
Last edited by wickedangel on Thu May 08, 2008 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Chemistry Project

Post by ChrisG »

Hi wickedangel,
Welcome to the Ask an Expert forum. The topic you mentioned sounds like it has good potential. How did you choose this particular topic? Is it something that interests you?
Your first task should be to identify whether there is (1) a scientific question to be answered that would make this a solid scientific project or (2) an issue of practical importance that would make this a solid engineering project. Those are not major problems, because almost any topic has some scientific or engineering relevance. You would just need to spend some time to clarify a science question/hypothesis or to explain why there is an need for better methods to determine the amount of sodium carbonate in bread.
More specific instructions about how to proceed are here:
http://www.sciencebuddies.com/science-f ... ndex.shtml

When students come asking for project topics, the usual & best advice is to choose a topic in which you have some strong personal interest. We have many page of project ideas & a selection wizard to assist with directing students toward general topics of interest:
http://www.sciencebuddies.com/science-f ... deas.shtml
Those are a good starting point to get a sense of what topics are most interesting to you, and once we know that, it is usually not too hard to add a twist that makes the project more original and different.
Regards,
Chris
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Re: Chemistry Project

Post by Craig_Bridge »

"To analyse the amount of sodium carbonate in bread"
I'm not sure how one would even begin to even determine if sodium carbonate is present in a bread sample. Measuring how much sodium is present can be done by breaking the sodium atoms off of everything else and precipitating it with a known and then measuring the precipitate. You may even be able to find a reliable assay for determining how much carbonate exists; however, when highly polar molecules like sodium carbonate are put into solution, they ionize (split apart). Once ionization occurs, how do you know if the sodium came from a carbonate or a cloride? Same goes for the carbonate. Was it attached to a sodium, a calcium, or something else?
-Craig

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”