hypothisis and purpose

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

nicksmomanddad
Project Question: Im trying the science buddies project Whats the boiling point? This uses distillation to captuer vapors from different friut juices. Im having trouble wording the purpose and hypothisis for this project. Could you please help me? Thanks...
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: I am just starting

hypothisis and purpose

Post by nicksmomanddad »

Im doing a science project called "Whats the point of boiling?" It uses distillation of friut juices. Im having trouble wording the purpose and the hypothisis. Could someone please help me out? Thanks...
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Re: hypothisis and purpose

Post by Craig_Bridge »

Welcome to the ask the experts forum. The science fair project ideas like https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p024.shtml are meant to be the rough starting point for some investigations. The https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ndex.shtml page has some links to the various aspects of "How to Do a Science Fair Project".

I strongly recommend that you read the getting started links to "The Scientific Method" and "Your Question" (e.g. what I think you are calling "the purpose") to get a good idea of how to start a good science fair project investigation. The Scientific Method should provide an introduction into what a hypothesis is. The links under "Constructing a Hypothesis" and "Testing Your Hypothesis" should provide some assistance in how to go from an investigational question (purpose) into wording a testable hypothesis.

The purpose of the science fair project ideas is not to provide a "canned" investigation but to spark some creative questioning and thinking on the part of each individual investigator. If after reading these links, you are still having trouble coming up with a good hypothesis related to the project idea, you may need to do some background research to better understand things related to the project idea. The bibliography information in the project guide and the "Doing Background Research" should be of help in choosing a related question.

A great science fair project often comes from an incorrect hypothesis because we learn more from being wrong and having to figure out why we are wrong that guessing correctly the first time.
-Craig
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: hypothisis and purpose

Post by tdaly »

nicksmomanddad,

I noticed that you said
Im having trouble wording the purpose and the hypothisis
Does this mean that you already know what the purpose of your project and what your hypothesis is, but you are having problems figuring out how to put your ideas into words? If so, post back with what you have currently for your purpose and hypothesis and we'll do our best to help you polish it up. I would still recommend reading the links Craig provided because they have excellent information that may help your refine your ideas.

Good luck with the project!
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”