magnetism

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ajay
Project Question: can you give ideas to make a zinc-air fuel cell that will fit inside my mini mars rover working model?
Project Due Date: 8-monday-september
Project Status: I am just starting

magnetism

Post by ajay »

hello,
I am trying to run my mini vehicle with using electromagnets. I am not considering the way levitating trains work as my model is a simple car/wagon . I need ideas on magnetism and ways to relate it with my vehicle to make it run.
Thank you.
AerospaceGuy
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: magnetism

Post by AerospaceGuy »

Ajay,

Electromagnetism is a very exciting field of study, especially with regard to transportation. I am confused about your project though--would you explain your project idea in greater detail please? I don't understand how you want to use electromagnets if you do not want your vehicle to levitate above a track. Please provide greater specifics about your project idea so that I can be of more help to you.
O God, Thy sea is so great, and my boat is so small!
-Anonymous
MFagan
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: magnetism

Post by MFagan »

Depending on your specific interpretation of the concept of the electromagnet (did you select this particular topic?), a common permanent magnet DC electric motor contains an electromagnet, whose interaction with a fixed magnetic field causes the rotation of the motor's shaft. Other than that, I'm not sure how you would use magnetics to power a vehicle without involving some sort of magnetic levitation system.

Can you give us more specifics of your experiment?
Michael

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”