electrical usage of appliances

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

thumbles
Project Question: Which appliance in my home uses the most electrical energy over a 24 hr. period? I plan to use a Kill A Watt to measure the usage. I predict the pool filter will use the most. I don't understand how to incorporate independent and dependent variables.
Project Due Date: Testing to be completed by Dec. 31.
Project Status: I am just starting

electrical usage of appliances

Post by thumbles »

Help me please. My project is measuring the amount of electricity used by various electrical appliances in my house. I am going to use a Kill A Watt and measure each appliance over 24 hrs. I predict the pool filter will use the most electricity. What else can I do with this project for independant and dependant variables? Thank you,
Andy
davidkallman
Former Expert

Re: electrical usage of appliances

Post by davidkallman »

Hi thumbles,

That's an interesting question you have.

Independent and dependent variables are defined in:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... bles.shtml

I may be missing something, but it appears that your experiment does not have independent and dependent variables. (Reading your post again, it's clear that you have figured this out.)

A different experiment is needed to have independent and dependent variables. The only variables that come to mind, within the basic parameters of your experiment, are: independent: the power on the label of each appliance, dependent: the measured power over some time period.

I realize that this doesn't sound that exciting. Maybe someone else has other ideas.
Cheers!

Dave

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”