sodium borohydride

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

sjbrundan
Project Question: whales adaption to deep diving
Project Due Date: 3 Nov
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

sodium borohydride

Post by sjbrundan »

I am planning to make some fake whale blubber as part science fair project. i have found the recipe on the internet in a science web page, the recipe is 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup white glue,and 1/2 cup water and 2 tablespoons borax. My mum went to the chemist here (in India) and asked if they could get either borax or sodium Borate (which the internet said was the same thing) the man at the chemist has given us sodium borohydride LR and said this is also the same as borax but when i have looked it up on the internet it doesn't sound the same at all. My questioon is - is sodium borohydride the same as sodium borate, will it have the same reaction mixed in water and would it give the same results.
I don't want to open the packet and test it as the man at the shop said if it isn't what we needed then we can return it but only unopenned.
hope you can help.
Thank you
Dan
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: sodium borohydride

Post by ChrisG »

Please do not use sodium borohydride at home for this experiment. You would not get the same results as with sodium borate, and you could be injured. Sodium borohydride is much more toxic and reactive than sodium borate.

Hazards Identification for sodium borohydride
Emergency Overview
--------------------------
DANGER! CORROSIVE. CAUSES BURNS TO ANY AREA OF CONTACT. HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED, INHALED OR ABSORBED THROUGH SKIN. FLAMMABLE SOLID. DANGEROUS WHEN WET.
SAF-T-DATA(tm) Ratings (Provided here for your convenience)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Health Rating: 3 - Severe
Flammability Rating: 3 - Severe (Flammable)
Reactivity Rating: 3 - Severe (Water Reactive)
Contact Rating: 3 - Severe
Lab Protective Equip: GOGGLES & SHIELD; LAB COAT & APRON; VENT HOOD; PROPER GLOVES
Storage Color Code: Red Stripe (Store Separately)

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/s3146.htm
sjbrundan
Project Question: whales adaption to deep diving
Project Due Date: 3 Nov
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: sodium borohydride

Post by sjbrundan »

Thank you for answering my question, we have taken the sodium borohydride back to the chemist and mum had a few words to say to the shop owner about double checking what he is selling. They are going to try and order me some sodium borate/borax.

thank you
Dan
donnahardy2
Former Expert

sodium borohydride

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Dan,

Here is information on the chemical you want to use for this experiment.

http://www.miningbasics.com/html/borax_ ... alliza.php

In the US, borax, or sodium borate, is available in the laundry section of grocery stores. This should be a great experiment once you obtain the right chemical.

Donna Hardy

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”