Mummification

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Ktstaudmyer
Project Question: Does natron solution really speed up the mummification process?
Project Due Date: Dec 1, 2008
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Mummification

Post by Ktstaudmyer »

My daughter is working with natron solution and 1/2 apples exploring the mummification, drying, rate. She is measuring the mass in grams of the 3 apple halves in the soltion and comparing the rate of mummification of those left to dry naturally. Should those in the solution have the mass measured while still in the solution, in the bag - or should they be taken out of the solution to be measured?
What happens if the solution makes the front half of the apple "face" actually fall off?
ScienceExpert123
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Mummification

Post by ScienceExpert123 »

dear ktstaudmyer,

The apples should be weighed while not in solution because you would want to see how much solution the apple has absorbed or dryed out. I think if the front of the apples falls off you should just continue the experiment with all the pieces of the apple and when you weigh the apples just weigh all the parts of that apple at one time.

good luck,
scienceexpert123

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”