Needs idea for a model

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

cuzach
Project Question: I need an idea to help my daughter cfreate a model that show what happen to a substance's particles as it heats from solid to a gas.
Project Due Date: 10/27/08
Project Status: I am just starting

Needs idea for a model

Post by cuzach »

I need some ideals to build a model that show what happen to a substance particles as it is heat from solid to gas.
kgudger
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Needs idea for a model

Post by kgudger »

Welcome to the Science Buddies Forum! I think you probably wanted some physical model ideas, but here are a couple of web based "virtual" models: http://www.harcourtschool.com/activity/ ... of_matter/ and http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/ind ... opic=296.0 .

In terms of building models for solids, you can use any of the construction toys to do so - particularly the "hub and spoke" types (such as tinkertoy). Maybe there is some kind of plastic ball (such as those used for stuffing of bean bag chairs) that would hold together with static electricity? (Maybe another expert could comment on this.)

If you can clarify a little more what you want to try, I'll do some more research on it.

Keith
cuzach
Project Question: I need an idea to help my daughter cfreate a model that show what happen to a substance's particles as it heats from solid to a gas.
Project Due Date: 10/27/08
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by cuzach »

Yes, I think we need s to build a physical Model. I don't think she can use on open flame in the model is there a safe way to heat the water up?
kgudger
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Post by kgudger »

I'm not certain what is meant by "model" in this case, since you are talking about an open flame. This sounds like the real thing! instead of an open flame, you can use a hot plate / electric burner. Of course this has its own set of safety issues. Could you please provide a little more information? Thanks.

Keith
yasinrahman
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A

Post by yasinrahman »

Are you looking for conceptual (model* to show its concepts) or a real experiement that actually uses particles?

Thanks,
Yasin Rahman

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”