how far can sparks jump project

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

smr
Project Question: We are interested in the experiment "How Far Can Sparks Jump" but would like to explore some real life applications for this experiment so that it is better understood/more interesting, in other words what is the value of this information?
Project Due Date: Dec 1
Project Status: I am conducting my research

how far can sparks jump project

Post by smr »

I had this posted on life scineces, and as recommended per this response, am posting this here:

It sounds like you are working on the project described in the science buddies website:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p032.shtml

I can think of a couple of applications that should be of interest to your age group. Flying sparks from chain saws, automobiles, and other equipment can be a cause of grass and forest fires. Also flying sparks are also the cause of the shocks cause by static electricity in cold, dry weather.

You might also try posting this question on the physical science forum. The scientists who answer on that forum are more familiar with flying sparks than those of us who answer life science questions.

That is the right project, and I have also rec'd the suggestion of spark plugs.

Any other input appreciated, thank you.
dcnick96
Former Expert

Re: how far can sparks jump project

Post by dcnick96 »

Hi SMR:

This is definitely useful to several career fields as a safety issue. As previously posted, sparks can cause fires and injuries to people. I googled "sparks fly safety" and several websites came back in the welding and electrical industry. Are you intending just to do research on your topic or actually conduct an experiment? If you are intending on conducting an experiment, then you may want to narrow it to one field...electrical, welding, etc. BE SURE TO CONSIDER ALL SAFETY FACTORS BEFORE YOU DO SO!!!

I hope this helps, as I wasn't sure exactly what your question was other than real life applications of your experiment. Please write back if you have any more questions.

Good luck!
Deana

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”