thermochemistry project

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

sharpie18
Project Question: thermochemistry
Project Due Date: my investigation plan is due tomorrow which is november 17. my science project is to be completed by spring
Project Status: I am conducting my research

thermochemistry project

Post by sharpie18 »

I am working on my investigation plan an I need to compare my results to somthing. I need a control. My project is comparing the accuracy and precision of a homemade calorimeter versus a lab calorimeter. I use the equation q=mCsp(delta)t. I'm using metals copper and aluminum and I have the Csp and I will ise the same mass for each calorimeter. All I need is somthing to compare my results with
dcnick96
Former Expert

Re: thermochemistry project

Post by dcnick96 »

Hi sharpie18.

Are you investigating whether a homemade calorimeter is just as accurate as a lab calorimeter? If so, then your control (baseline) would be the lab calorimeter. You will compare your homemade calorimeter results to your lab colorimeter results. Using some standard (you will need to define this before your experiment), you can then determine whether the homemade calorimeter is just as good as (or better) than the lab colorimeter.

Hope this helps...good luck!
Deana
sharpie18
Project Question: thermochemistry
Project Due Date: my investigation plan is due tomorrow which is november 17. my science project is to be completed by spring
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: thermochemistry project

Post by sharpie18 »

Thanks for the reply! I never thought of using the lab calorimeter as the object to compare to since theoretically you should get the same results every time.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”