Calcium Intake

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

pinkspacehippo
Project Question: Can a pescetarian get enough calcium through non-dairy sources?
Project Due Date: January 22/23 2009
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Calcium Intake

Post by pinkspacehippo »

My science fair project is on the Ratio of calcium in different products to daily calcium intake which is 1000mgs per day. I have done my background research, and found that to measure calcium I would need to use calcium assay, I do no know where to find any, or buy any. My school does not have it available. Also I am unsure if I should just use 3 different tests (soy milk, skim milk, and the most popular calcium supplement) or If I should also use different brands, or another item containing calcium. I am confused about how to relate this into everyday life, because though we need to know how much is in each calcium intake, should I see how much of each product you would have to take to get the recommended dose of calcium? I am very confused, and I hope I don't have to think of a whole new science fair project idea, so this will hopefully help.

I guess I could use the data on the products, though then would it still be considered a Science Fair Project?
Last edited by pinkspacehippo on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ellums
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Calcium Intake

Post by Ellums »

Don't the products you have chosen have the calcium listed on the package nutrition label? Are you trying to confirm the label is correct/incorrect?
Could you try describing your intent again for me?
michellebayefsky
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Calcium Intake

Post by michellebayefsky »

Here is a link that describes one way to measure calcium in a liquid:
http://newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem00/chem00524.htm

I also found this:

One beaker with volume 250 cm^3, put 50 cm^3 of your sample. Add 5 cm^3 of NaOH which has 2 mol/dm^3 and on tip of a spoon indicator. You titrate with 0.025 mol/dm^3 EDTA until color is changed from blue to violet-blue.
You can calculate concentration of Calcium on this way:
(mmol/dm^3 Ca2+) / dm^3 = (V x M x 1000) / 50

Other methods including Calcium Assay kits cost $1000 or more.

I hope this helps!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”