which soda (coke or pepsi) will prouduce the biggest burp

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

bryangullickson
Project Question: which soda (coke or pepsi) products will prouduce the biggest burp??
Project Due Date: 2/25/09
Project Status: I am just starting

which soda (coke or pepsi) will prouduce the biggest burp

Post by bryangullickson »

which soda (coke or pepsi) will proudce the biggest burp

What do you think? :?:
Ryan Bird
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: which soda (coke or pepsi) will prouduce the biggest burp

Post by Ryan Bird »

Hi bryangullickson, thanks for visiting the ScienceBuddies forum. We are here to help students with their Science Fair projects. If this question pertains to your project, please provide some information and we'd be glad to help you out.

Thanks,
Ryan
"All inquires carry with them some element of risk. There is no guarantee that the universe will conform to our predispositions.." - Carl Sagan
bryangullickson
Project Question: which soda (coke or pepsi) products will prouduce the biggest burp??

dependes what you mean by question
Sincearly,
Bryan Gullickson
staryl13
Former Expert
Project Question: Neuroregeneration
Project Due Date: N/A

Post by staryl13 »

Hi Bryan,
I would suggest you try to elaborate your project question, please refer to the ScienceBuddies Project Guide for more information on that. In the meantime, this sounds like a cool idea, perhaps you could research what are the main causes of burping and see if any of them apply to the ingredients found in coke or pepsi. Good luck!
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." -Isaac Asimov
bryangullickson

thank you for that exallent idea I find science buddies the most help full palce on the internet to research
what I am going to do and what im doing

:D :) 8)
Sincearly,
Bryan Gullickson
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

Bryan,

I think us experts are confused about what it is that you need help with. Do you need help refining your question, coming up with an hypothesis, creating an experimental procedure, or something else or a combination of these? If you can tell us what it is you need, we'll be better able to help you.
bryangullickson

proabably all of the above
Sincearly,
Bryan Gullickson
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

Bryan,

Okay, that helps. Let's start with your question--which soda will produce the biggest burp. One thing you will want to consider is how you will measure 'big'. Do you mean the loudest? The longest? Before you come up with your procedure, you will need to think about what you will actually measure. You might then consider changing the question slightly to reflect this measurement.

As to the hypothesis, I suggest you do what staryl13 suggested--research burping and consider how they would relate to the ingredients in coke or pepsi. Remember, an hypothesis is not just a guess--it is a prediction based on your background research.

Once you do those two things, I think you will have an easier time coming up with your procedure. One thing you will need to keep in mind is how you will control various aspects of your experiment. I would suggest using lots of different people so that you can control for differences between people. I would also not tell these people which soda is which when you give it to them--this way they will not, for example, try harder when they have the soda that they think will make the biggest burp.

Hope all that helps, and let us know if you have more questions once you've done some background research on your topic.
bryangullickson

thanks, i was thinking of mesuring it in decibals and. do you have any recmondations for reasarch web sites?
Last edited by bryangullickson on Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sincearly,
Bryan Gullickson
HeatherL
Former Expert
Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?

Post by HeatherL »

Hi Bryan,

The idea of measuring decibels (to detect the loudest burp) is great! :)

One thing to note is that some people can burp on purpose, and some of them can even control the size of their burps. You will want to ask your volunteers not to burp on purpose, but to only burp when they feel it coming naturally.

If by research site you mean the place where you conduct your experiment, it really can be anywhere that you find willing participants! Good places to start are schools (even your own). You can also ask family members to participate, so you get a range of ages (adults and children). As MelissaB pointed out, it will be best if you can get lots of different people to participate.

Feel free to post more questions as your project progresses. Good luck!

Cheers,
Heather
michellebayefsky
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Post by michellebayefsky »

Dear Bryan,

Here is a website that explains burping in relation to drinking soda clearly:
http://kidshealth.org/kid/talk/yucky/burp.html

Here is some information on Coke:
http://www.virtualvender.coca-cola.com/ft/index.jsp

Here is some information on Pepsi:
http://www.pepsiproductfacts.com/infoby ... =pusa.1067

I have also heard that Coke is more carbonated than Pepsi and it will be interesting to see whether your experimental results confirm that. I hope this helps!
staryl13
Former Expert
Project Question: Neuroregeneration

Post by staryl13 »

Hi Bryan,
Those are some great suggestions, I definitely agree! In addition, as to the research site, you might want to focus on a particular group of people and narrow it down so that you can conduct your study and get more specific results. Also remember the basic statistics sampling techniques- take a large sample to obtain the most accuracy and separate the people into groups if you can and always remember to minimize possible bias. I think starting at school would be a great idea, perhaps you could compare different grades and males vs. females. Good luck!
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." -Isaac Asimov
bryangullickson

thanks for your help i will keep you posted on any thing that comes up in the future
Sincearly,
Bryan Gullickson
CabbageLord
Project Question: Do the ethical opinions of individuals conform to those of larger groups?
Project Due Date: June
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Post by CabbageLord »

Just curious, it might be difficult to get test subjects to burp in a timely fashion. Personally, when I drink soda, I don't burp 100% or even most of the time. Maybe instead of measuring the volume or strength of individual burps, you could measure the frequency of burps in subjects within 5 minutes of drinking the soda. Most won't burp at all probably, but maybe people will burp more after drinking one drink than they will after another. You could also do some more things related to burping. Maybe, during half of the experiments, you could tell them that you are testing how often they burp, while the other half you don't tell them anything about the experiment. The subjects might burp more often if you tell them you are counting how many times they burp. If you decided to do that, you would have 4 groups in total. 1 coke group where they didn't know what you were testing and were just told to wait 5 minutes, and another coke group where you tell them the purpose. You would do the same for Pepsi. Just consider the different possibilities! Also, try researching on google what causes people to burp. For example, burping can be caused by swallowing excess air, but also by eating certain types of carbs.

-Good Luck, sounds like an interesting experiment!
bryangullickson

thanks for your help but 4 groups is a little extreme for the extent of my project i just want to pass my class because it is required that i do a science project in my science class
Sincearly,
Bryan Gullickson

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”