Rocket Launch Calculator

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

Moody4
Project Question: The goal of my project is to construct some sort of instrument (calculator) that will be used by rocketeers to angle rockets according to drift caused by wind in a way that will ensure the rocket will reenter to the original area.
Project Due Date: The final due date for the finished project is about January 29
Project Status: I am just starting

Rocket Launch Calculator

Post by Moody4 »

For my project I want to create a calculator for rocketeers to use that will, after some data is entered, will tell the angle that the rocket will need to be positioned in order to return to its original area. Angle is according to wind caused by drift. Factors I have considered are wind speed and predicted altitide.
The problem is I am not very advanced in computer science or programming and need help on mostly that part of it. Basically I need help on how to program or consturuct a simple calculator.
kau
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Rocket Launch Calculator

Post by kau »

Hello, my name is Kevin and I am a staff mechanical engineer in the aerospace industry. For a calculator like this, the two most commonly used tools are microsoft Excel (TM) and Matlab. Excel is a powerful tool with a lot of online help to help you set automated calculations and Matlab is available for download to students at www.matlab.com. After you have looked at which tool you want to use, I can help you set up inputs and the equations. Feel free to ask any questions you have. Thanks,

Kevin
Moody4
Project Question: The goal of my project is to construct some sort of instrument (calculator) that will be used by rocketeers to angle rockets according to drift caused by wind in a way that will ensure the rocket will reenter to the original area.
Project Due Date: The final due date for the finished project is about January 29

Post by Moody4 »

Kevin,
Thanks for replying so quickly it feels great to get started. I am somewhat familiar with Excel but am unfamiliar with Matlab. Could you tell me more about that? I went to the website but wasn't sure about what to do there or where to go. I am kind of leaning towards Excel because I know more about it and how it works but if you think that Matlab would be easier or something please let me know.

-Moody4
kau
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by kau »

Sorry for the long delay but Excel would work great, Matlab is more flexible but i just looked at looks like there is a cost for students. Anyway, do you know the equations for trajectory you will need to solve the problem? If you don't, Wikipedia has a decent write up and would be a good starting point. Once you have the equations, you can start by setting up the user inputs like this:

User Inputs
Value Units Decription
2 kg Rocket mass
10 mi/hr Wind speed
100 mi/hr Initial velocity

Each value should be in it's own cell in Excel. (Like "2" is in A3, "kg" is in B3, '"Rocket mass" is in C3). Then you set up the equaltions to output the results in another cell.

Example of a simple equation in Excel:
Type 2 in cell A1
Type 5 in cell A2
Type "=A1+A2" in cell A3 (answer will be 7)

Use that example above to enter your more complex equations. Good luck and I'll check back daily from here on out to see how it's going.

-Kevin
Moody4

Post by Moody4 »

I have been thinking about this project and it doesn't seem like it is going to work like I had originally thought and hoped. So I have chosen a different project that will be using knowledge that I already have but will allow for learning and expounding upon. It is just a little beyond my ability. Thanks a lot for your time and help.

-Moody4

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”