Finding DNA Sequences

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Zoe Altenberg
Project Question: How does the similarities to humans between the DNA sequences of a particular gene in other species compare to how close we thought we are related to that species?
Project Due Date: February 5
Project Status: I am just starting

Finding DNA Sequences

Post by Zoe Altenberg »

Hello,
I'm doing my project on how the most similar DNA sequences of the same gene to humans in different species compares to how close we think we are related to that species. In order to do this, I need access to a database of DNA sequences of a gene in multiple species. So far, I have the Leptin Genes for humans, cows, dogs and horses; and the Bone Morphogenetic Protein 7 Genes for humans, pigs, rabbits and sheep. (I got these from https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... 0&from=TSW) I would like to find a few more DNA sequences for the same gene in different species. Any help is appreciated.
--Zoe Altenberg--
agm
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Finding DNA Sequences

Post by agm »

Hi Zoe,

Welcome to the forum! First, I would note that you might find people with more relevant knowledge in the Life, Earth, and Social Sciences forum (which includes biology), so don't be surprised if a moderator relocates your topic to that forum. However, I do have a resource that might help you:

http://www.pdb.org/

This probably isn't organized in the most helpful way for you, but if you have the name of a sequence of interest, you can search for it.

Best wishes,
Amanda
hprentice
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Finding DNA Sequences

Post by hprentice »

Hello Zoe,

I would suggest one of the most popoular databases used by scientists around the world known as Genbank. I've included the link below. In using this link you will need to include the species and the name of the gene you would like sequence for. Make sure you select the nucleotide database as there are multiple databases to choose from at this site. Don't be surprised if you get many hits with your search. People from all over submit sequences to this database so there are many versions of the same gene. Some are partial sequences and some are full length. You may get the genomic sequence versions as well as mRNA sequence (with introns removed) versions, sometimes called cDNA versions.

After you do a search you can use the window on the right to select the organisms of interest. For example I just typed in leptin and got 58123 hits but by using the taxa window I can focus in on small sets of entries which are of intrest. You can also enter "leptin NOT receptor" to eliminate a number of unwanted entries.
The good new is that bone morphogenic protein has fewer hits so you won't have as much trouble with that one.

I hope that this helps and you can find what you are looking for. Good luck and have fun with Genbank!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Database/

Holly

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”