I need Trig help Please

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

Racefanpat
Project Question: I am trying to assist my niece with her pre-calculus HW. The problem is the solution needs to be solved as "exact values" not a decimal solution. It is as follows: Tan (30° + 45°). I am using an extremely staight-forward formula with terrible results. It is "(Tan 30° + Tan 45°)/(1 + Tan 30° Tan 45°)". The solution is sqrt3 + 2. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you in advance, Patrick Varner
Project Due Date: Monday January 5th.
Project Status: Not applicable

I need Trig help Please

Post by Racefanpat »

I am trying to help my niece with a trig problem that need to be answered in exact values. It has been 20 years since I've done identities so any help will be appreciated. The problem is "Tan (30 + 45)". The Solution is approached using (tan30 + tan 45)/(1 + tan30tan45) with "sqrt3 + 2" for the result.
Thank you in advance, P..
dcnick96
Former Expert

Re: I need Trig help Please

Post by dcnick96 »

Hello. The solution is derived from a tangent identity. Here are a couple of websites. However, recheck the solution compared to the identities on these websites. I believe there should be a minus sign instead of a plus sign in the denominator of the given solution.

http://www.cliffsnotes.com/WileyCDA/Cli ... 11614.html
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Tangent.html

Hope this helps. Please write back if you have any further questions. Good luck!
Deana
Racefanpat
Project Question: I am trying to assist my niece with her pre-calculus HW. The problem is the solution needs to be solved as "exact values" not a decimal solution. It is as follows: Tan (30° + 45°). I am using an extremely staight-forward formula with terrible results. It is "(Tan 30° + Tan 45°)/(1 + Tan 30° Tan 45°)". The solution is sqrt3 + 2. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you in advance, Patrick Varner
Project Due Date: Monday January 5th.
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by Racefanpat »

Thank you Deana,
I've since figured-out where my problem was falling afoul. With a little creative math, the problem was resolved. I confess that this was a humbling experience!
Thank you much for the reply and solution.
Patrick
dcnick96
Former Expert

Post by dcnick96 »

Glad to hear. Good luck!
Deana

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”