chemistry- coagulation process of milk

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

laracroft
Project Question: what effect do different solids have on the time it takes to melt ice
Project Due Date: February 2011
Project Status: I am conducting my research

chemistry- coagulation process of milk

Post by laracroft »

To whom it may concern;

My name is Victoria Garcia. I am a student at All Saints School and I am conducting research for a science fair project. May I please have your permission to site your name as a reference and include factual parts of this questionnaire below.
My experimental question is: What effect does fat content in milk have on the rate of curdling of milk?

1. why did you become an expert on this
2. do you think this topic is interesting,useful, or important? If so, why?
3. when did you first study about this topic?
4.what are some important things you have learned about this topic?
5. how can knowledge about this topic be applied to everyday life?
6. what is really in a milk curd?
7. what does lactic acid have in it? where is it usually found?
8. can powder milk curdle?

I appreciate your time. :mrgreen:
edneu3
Former Expert
Occupation: Engineer - Product & Technical Development Executive Director
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: chemistry- coagulation process of milk

Post by edneu3 »

Food science is clearly outside my areas of expertise. However, I did take some time to research the topic on the internet. You may find these sources to be useful:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_milk_curdle

http://www.itisacqui.it/sitob/formagette/curdling.htm

Good luck with your research.
Ed Neu
Buffalo, MN
laracroft
Project Question: what effect do different solids have on the time it takes to melt ice
Project Due Date: February 2011
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Post by laracroft »

Thank you for the websites but my science teacher does not allow wikipedia as a resource.
I thank you for your info. 8)
P.S.: I need to interview an expert for this topic so if you know any experts can you please name them and send it here. Thank you. :mrgreen:
agm
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by agm »

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

In case you missed it, please see our note about interview requests here:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... =26&t=4488

Basically, we can't guarantee that anyone here is an expert on such a specific topic, though we are all capable of helping you find internet resources in our general fields. For the purpose of your interview, while it is *possible* that someone here will have the required expertise, it would be a good idea for you to look elsewhere as well.

One option is to look for universities with food science programs and read over faculty research interests, then contact one whose expertise is most relevant to your project. My advice would be to start with a short email introducing yourself and the question you're investigating, then ask if you could send your lists of questions or be referred to another researcher with more relevant expertise. It might seem intimidating to contact a professor, but the vast majority would be happy to encourage a student interested in their field. :) To get you started:

http://www.foodscience.psu.edu/Departme ... alpha.html

(There are a few phrases like "dairy chemistry" floating around there, so there's probably someone helpful for you.)

Best wishes,
Amanda

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”