Uncooperative Electroscope

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Queen E.
Project Question: My project is "How do Different Materials React to Static Electricity?" from the Science Buddies web site.
Project Due Date: Project due Feb. 26, 2009
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Uncooperative Electroscope

Post by Queen E. »

Hi,

I am doing the "How Do Different Materials React To Static Electricity" experiment from the Science Buddies website.
My electroscope does not react when different materials (copper, Styrofoam, etc.) are placed under it after being rubbed by the balloon. If you approach the electroscope with the balloon it will attract the hanging foil ball to it.
The test materials are sitting on a piece of wood when the electroscope is placed on them (by moving it with the foam cup.) My dad and I checked out all the instructions and we can't see anything I've done wrong. We even tried a different plate and different humidity levels.

Any help would be great! Thanks,
davidkallman
Former Expert

Re: Uncooperative Electroscope

Post by davidkallman »

Hi Queen E.,

Electroscopes came up recently in Science Buddies. If you plug in "electroscope" intro the search box in the upper right corner of the Science Buddies page, you'll discover two other (beside yours) electroscope threads.

1. "Please Help. I have a question about an electroscope," with four replies
2. "Using an electroscope," with two replies

There are solutions mentioned in these two threads. Do they help? Do have any other questions?
Cheers!

Dave
Queen E.
Project Question: My project is "How do Different Materials React to Static Electricity?" from the Science Buddies web site.
Project Due Date: Project due Feb. 26, 2009
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Post by Queen E. »

Thanks for your reply Mr. Kallman ( or do you prefer Dave?) I have checked out the posts and
will try all the suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes!

Queen E.
davidkallman
Former Expert

Post by davidkallman »

Hi Queen E.,

Two items:

1. Please let us know how the project is going.
2. "Dave" is fine and preferred.

Thanks.
Cheers!

Dave

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”