Algae Growth

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

trebleclef1029
Project Question: About how long does it take for algae to grow enough to be visible in a petri dish? The algae I am using is Chlamydomonas, it is being cultured in soil-water medium and is getting regular lighting. The temperature in the room is a fluctuating 15 degrees Celsius.
Project Due Date: February 15th 2009
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Algae Growth

Post by trebleclef1029 »

I am growing algae (Chlamydomonas) for part of my science fair project. It is not visible in any of the tests I am currently experimenting on. The algae is growing in soil-water medium several petri dishes. They are getting the right amount of light supplied by fluorescent bulbs and the temperature in the room that they are growing in is a fluctuating 15 degrees Celsius. I am wondering about how many days do you think it would take for the algae to become visible in my tests?
-Trebleclef1029
Gpm222
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Algae Growth

Post by Gpm222 »

It may take a few weeks depending on the conditions, as many as 30 days according to http://www.scienceproject.com/projects/ ... /IB033.asp
Be careful while working with Algae and Good luck!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”