IMPORTANT:FAST! Trajectory-Going The Distance:Launch Angles

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

SuprajP
Project Question: How does angle affect the distance or speed of a projectile being launched?
Project Due Date: January 26, 2009
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

IMPORTANT:FAST! Trajectory-Going The Distance:Launch Angles

Post by SuprajP »

I am doing a project for my science fair project that tests how an object (ball bearing) is affected in distance or speed if the launch angle is changed. I used the idea form Science Buddies :

http://www.sciencebuddies.com/science-f ... p061.shtml

I built a launcher but the force of the spring isn't enough to launch the ball bearing more than 5-8 feet. I need more distance to test the data. Is it okay to test it like this or should I change my project? What would be all the constants in the project? How should I set up my spring and dowel? Could you please help me and give me some advice? The project is due on the 26th of January, 2009. Thank you very much.

SuprajP
davidkallman
Former Expert

Re: IMPORTANT:FAST! Trajectory-Going The Distance:Launch Angles

Post by davidkallman »

Hi SuprajP,

Without seeing your launcher, it's hard to guess what's going wrong.

My suggestions are follow the suggestions in the second paragraph of the Introduction of the project webpage:
http://www.sciencebuddies.com/science-f ... p061.shtml
This is the paragraph that starts:
"Before you start designing and building your launcher".

The third introductory paragraph, the one that starts:
"To test your hypothesis in the real world",
includes: "Remember to have an adult present". I hope you will do this, particularly when you figure out what's wrong.

Some other notes:

1. There are two nearly identical posts. It's OK to post a new topic; the old one, however, needs to closed. I'll do that after finishing this post.
2. The URL reference in your 2:!3PM posting was mangled, but the same reference was OK in your 2:10PM post. I don't know why. I'll pursue.
3. Using non-black colored text for many characters is not good etiquette. So, please resist the urge. Thanks.
4. Putting text like "IMPORTANT:FAST!" is also not good etiquette in two regards. First is the use of all caps. Second is the reminder of deadlines. (We recognize your deadline, but we all have hectic lives, and will try to accommodate.) Again, please resist the urge. Thanks.
Cheers!

Dave

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”