watering plants with greywater

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

lambertnnc
Project Question: watering plants with greywater
Project Due Date: end of January
Project Status: I am conducting my research

watering plants with greywater

Post by lambertnnc »

I'm doing a project on watering plants with greywater. I am watering with distilled water as a control group, tap water from a well, grey water from the washing machine of a person with well water, city tap water, and city grey water from a washing machine. I am getting all the water tested, so i know what is in it. Also I am using 5 plants for each catagory. I was wondering how to take it to another level so it's not so easy,by relating it to the world, and using treated grey water. I found a website about treating your own greywater through a wetland in your own home. This would add a level of difficulty. Any suggestions on where to get wetland plants in the winter? I am also open to other sugestions about how to treat grey water. How would I make this a "help the world problems project" and incorporate all this into one project( the plants with the different waters, the world, and the treated grey water system) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Ellums
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: watering plants with greywater

Post by Ellums »

Here are some links with info about using recycled water. Redwood City has been installing recycle water pipelines in certain areas as part of a funded project-you could contact them (see faqs) for some more info.

What did you feel was inadequate about your hypothesis and/or project? Can you be more specific about what you would like to add to your project?

http://www.oasisdesign.net/greywater/references.htm

http://www.ci.redwood-city.ca.us/public ... g/faqs.htm
BennettBerke
Former Expert

Post by BennettBerke »

Your project sounds interesting.

Did the last post answer your question? If not, perhaps you can explain what outcomes you expect from your experiment. Do you think that plants grown with gray water will look different from the other plants?
lambertnnc

Post by lambertnnc »

Thanks, the websites helped. I desided I want to treat greywater and use it to water plants and i found out a way to treat it with a wetland set up in my house. I wanted to specificaly know what other ways there is to treat water but the website helped. Also I did a version of this project last year and already found out that plants watered with grey water grey grew shorter and were discolored.
lambertnnc

Post by lambertnnc »

I am having trouble finding wetland or pond plants because it winter. Do you have any suggestions or other ways to treat greywater?
bmendels
Project Question: What effect does Greywater and Salt water have on plant growth?
Project Due Date: February 24, 2009
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Post by bmendels »

i am doing a similar experiment except with salt water and grey water any ideas?
amyc
Site Admin
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by amyc »

Bmendels - You appended your question onto an old thread (from December). You may want to start a new topic, explaining what your project is and what questions you have (or what trouble you may be encountering procuring materials). I think you'll find experts available to help if you start a new topic.

Amy
Science Buddies
bmendels
Project Question: What effect does Greywater and Salt water have on plant growth?
Project Due Date: February 24, 2009
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Post by bmendels »

thanks i did

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”