Which type of agar?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

oscarsan15
Project Question: Waste Not, Want Not: Use the Microbial Fuel Cell to Create Electricity from Waste
Project Due Date: Mid March
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Which type of agar?

Post by oscarsan15 »

I am currently having a difficult time trying to order a type of agar, in the Science buddies recommendation, “Waste Not, Want Not: Use the Microbial Fuel Cell to Create Electricity from Waste” in the materials and equipment there is a requirement for agar. However, this is extremely vague for me, due to the fact that I am ordering from Caroline Science, and there many types of agars.
Can anyone please help me in trying to identify this ambiguous agar?
staryl13
Former Expert
Project Question: Neuroregeneration
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Which type of agar?

Post by staryl13 »

Hi!
Great question! Well, a simple Google search comes up with a lot of websites which sell agar, since it is a staple of any experiment dealing with growing bacteria.
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... rient+agar
I don't think that there is much of a difference to be said about a "good" agar or a "bad" agar to use in this experiment. As long as it is 30g I think that your results will be fine. Good luck!
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." -Isaac Asimov
michellebayefsky
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by michellebayefsky »

Dear oscarsan15,

The following link explains a bit about agar and recommends using "plain nutrient agar, of which LB agar is a subtype."

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... Agar.shtml

Hope this helps!
oscarsan15
Project Question: Waste Not, Want Not: Use the Microbial Fuel Cell to Create Electricity from Waste
Project Due Date: Mid March
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Post by oscarsan15 »

Thank you very much for you help

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”