Post SciFair

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Post SciFair

Post by ChrisG »

Sustainability is an extremely broad topic that could relate to almost any field of science. It often is used to refer to the feasibility of a certain type of use or abuse of some resource, which could be plant, animal, or mineral (e.g. "how long will we be able to use oil as our main energy source"). The term has become popular among scientists these days to try to convey that their work has some long term implications, though I'd say it is used more for effect than it is used as an actual focus of study. Sustainability can be a difficult topic for science, because it depends on many unpredictable social and political factors that may not relate to the science of the resource itself.
That's my 2 cents on the topic. Do you have an interest in some particular natural resource?
dlsmadscienctist
Project Question: Are there any potentially great ideas out there?
Project Due Date: February 1, 2009
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by dlsmadscienctist »

ahh. i have so many topics to choose from. In any of your expert opinions please leave an opinion about which direction is relevant to society today. I would like to hear your imput on these topics.
thank you in advance
ChrisG
Former Expert

Post by ChrisG »

This book deals with one of my favorite topics:
http://www.amazon.com/Dirt-Civilization ... 0520248708
Good reading for a summer vacation.
Trader
Project Question: Role of AI-2 in Biofilm Formation of L. monocytogenes
Project Due Date: Janurary 1, 2010 (2 months!!)
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Post by Trader »

First of all congrats having qualified for the Intel ISEF! I was also there as a Finalist -- have I seen you in the fair at all?

As for the wide range of topics that are available, for many people choosing the topic is one of the more difficult part of the project. When I am thinking about what to choose, it's really more about what you want to do -- you see a problem, and you aim to solve it.

My project wasn't the most relevant to "solving society's problems", but when you think about it, if you really enjoy the project you're doing and it is something original, wouldn't the problem help out society anyway?

I am currently facing a similar problem (of not knowing what project to choose) but here are a few things to consider:

1) Have you considered continuing your previous project (which must have been good because you qualified as a Finalist!) for a Phase II that you see some people have the fair? What this helps is that you can almost go straight to the experimentation as the background research you are already familiar with.

2) If you don't want to continue your project, have you considered joining a mentorship/fellowship/internship at a local research facility? I am attempting to get one of those, and while the research facility I may be getting into isn't really related to microbiology (the field that my last project was based on), it has some relationships. Thing is, when you are helping out and learning with the rest of the professors/helping out with the research, you might just get an idea. My theory goes that when you stop searching sometimes, the ideas will come to you :), and some of those ideas are the best ones.

Good luck in searching for a "good topic", though remember, it's really about what you really want to do (in my opinion) -- chances are, through its originality and innovative aspects, the project will have its unique contributions to society
Trader - scientist wannabe =)
ChrisG
Former Expert

Post by ChrisG »

Excellent advice, Trader. I completely agree.
rebeccamaman
Former Expert

Post by rebeccamaman »

hi dlsmadscientist,
You've already gotten some great advice and I don't know if I can improve on any of it. I would suggest that in your search for a subject-do some reading on a variety of subjects. If you spend time volunteering or interning at a lab, there are bound to be a variety of folks with a variety of interests. Some of them may suggest some journals or books for you. If you're an omnivore of literature, you may be surprised what subject piques your interest.
Rebecca Aman MS, CLS (NCA)

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790
dlsmadscienctist
Project Question: Are there any potentially great ideas out there?
Project Due Date: February 1, 2009
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by dlsmadscienctist »

ok...

does anyone know the locations for the intel isef 2011? and beyond?
Trader
Project Question: Role of AI-2 in Biofilm Formation of L. monocytogenes
Project Due Date: Janurary 1, 2010 (2 months!!)
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Post by Trader »

Nope, I only know that the Intel ISEF for 2010 (next year) would be in San Jose CA... don't know about 2011.

I think they won't decide until later?

Either way, look forward to seeing you there again! I'm having trouble getting a topic to start as well... and I'm trying to get some individual research done over the summer but without any luck.

I find that reading articles related to my previous project is quite helpful... and emailing the authors especially. They are very helpful.

:)
Trader - scientist wannabe =)

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”