end point in titration for Vitamin C content

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

al davis
Project Question: Which fruits and vegetable have most vitamin C
Project Due Date: Feb. 4, 2010
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

end point in titration for Vitamin C content

Post by al davis »

I am testing fruit and vegetable juices for vitamin c content. I made a starch solution with iodine which makes a dark blue color. So this solution to I add drops of fruit juice. The end point is when the blue solution turns clear. The fewer drops required to change the indicator soution clear, the greater the amount of Citamin C in the liquid. When I put a drop of spinach juice in the indiator solution, it turned bright green immediately and I never reached a clear color. I don't know what this means. Can you help me determine how to interpret this result.
matthewmulanax
Former Expert

Re: end point in titration for Vitamin C content

Post by matthewmulanax »

For the spinach test you may need to dilute the spinach extract 50% to get a reading. Mix 1 volume spinach extract with 1 volume water to get a reading. If still too concentrated mix one volume spinach extract with 9 volumes of water.

Good luck,

Matthew W. Mulanax

Return to “Grades K-5: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”