Need help with a graph...

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

inyourhandslord
Project Question: How would we design a graph to include 5 types of stains, 3 different detergents, and 5 degrees of clean?
Project Due Date: March 5th
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Need help with a graph...

Post by inyourhandslord »

Hello,

Just wondering if someone can help us with our graph. We are attempting to show 5 different stains, 3 different detergents, and 5 "levels of clean". We're not sure how to go about showing this...Any help would be very much appreciated. We don't have any way to do it by computer so we have to do it "by hand" ..

Thanks ahead of time...
mpphlipot
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Need help with a graph...

Post by mpphlipot »

I'm going on the assumption that you started with stains from 5 different materials. You washed each with three different detergents and then rated the results on a scale of 1-5. If that's the case, I suggest a compound bar graph (also called multiple bar graph).

See an example here: http://www.bized.co.uk/timeweb/buffing/ ... llus.htm#5
It's the graph they call a compound bar chart.

Another is here: http://exploringgeography.wikispaces.co ... +notes.pdf
Look at the graph they call a multiple bar diagram on page 5.

Your vertical axis will be the levels of clean. Your horizontal axis will be clusters of bars. You have 2 choices. You could have a cluster of 5 bars next to each other showing the results of all 5 stains with the first detergent. Then another cluster of 5 for the 2nd detergent and so on.

Alternatively, you could have a clusters of 3 bars. Each cluster shows the results of the 3 different detergents on one of the stains.

It's a little difficult to describe here in words but hopefully you'll follow it when you see the sample diagrams on these websites.

Good luck!
Mike
inyourhandslord
Project Question: How would we design a graph to include 5 types of stains, 3 different detergents, and 5 degrees of clean?
Project Due Date: March 5th
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Need help with a graph...

Post by inyourhandslord »

Mike,

Thanks...I am going to check out the info you posted...Looks like it is going to be a great help...

Appreciate your time : :D

Return to “Grades 6-8: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”