pedal power generator

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

franklin.graham
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: I am conducting my research

pedal power generator

Post by franklin.graham »

Is there a way to hook both a hand and foot pedals up to the same generator at the same time. Using pulleys and belts isn't new to me, but I haven't found a productive way to set it up yet.
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Re: pedal power generator

Post by Craig_Bridge »

Probably, take a look at some of the tandem bike pedal chain designs for ideas. Some of the variants allow for the front and back pedals to be independent of each other (both coasting, front coasting rear driving, front driving rear coasting, both driving) and others lock the pedals together. In both cases, when the driving load is shared, both pedal sets will be rotating under load (possibly at some different gearing or possibly at a different rotation angle).
-Craig
rmarz
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: pedal power generator

Post by rmarz »

franklin.graham - There are several stationary exercise bike designs that simultaneously use pedal and arm power generate more calorie burn and at the same time balance body effort. Perhaps you could obtain one of these at a thrift store, (or even free from a site like Craigslist) to at least study the concept to implement your idea.

Rick Marz

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”