Positive and negative controls

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

sciencefan
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Positive and negative controls

Post by sciencefan »

One of my students is testing natural fertilizers againts a commercial one. She was wondering if she should have a synthetic fertelizer as a control or water group as a control and include natural and synthetic feterlizer in experimentation? Thank you.
mpphlipot
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Positive and negative controls

Post by mpphlipot »

I’m not sure what you mean by a water group as a control…

Is the student comparing several different natural fertilizers against a single, specific commercial one? If so, then the case with the commercial fertilizer is the control. If the student is comparing several fertilizers, natural and commercial, then the control would likely be a case without any fertilizer. And, of course, the student needs to ensure that as many other variables as possible (light, temperature, water, plants…) are kept constant across all the experimental cases.

One challenge I see with this experiment is “dosage”. For the commercial fertilizer, you would probably go with the manufacturer’s recommended dosage. But if, for example, you use a teaspoon of the commercial fertilizer, what is the appropriate amount of the natural fertilizer that should be used? Is the amount going to differ for each of the natural fertilizers? Perhaps that is another variable that comes into play.

Sounds like an interesting project that could have some very practical outcomes.
Mike

Return to “Grades 9-12: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”