Mechanical Engineering

Ask specific questions about careers in science. Questions may be related to information in the Science Careers area of the Science Buddies website or may relate to specific projects or areas of research.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

xolilmeg97
Project Question: Do you enjoy being an aviator. Are there any challengers that you face, what is your favorite part of your job, and is there anything that you do that is out of the ordinary
Project Due Date: 11/09/10 or 11/10/10
Project Status: Not applicable

Mechanical Engineering

Post by xolilmeg97 »

Questions

• Do you enjoy being a Mechanical Engineering?

• Are there any challengers that you face?

• What is your favorite part of your job?

• Is there anything that you do that is out of the ordinary

• What is your favorite thing about Mechanical Engineering?

Thanks
~Megan M~
mpchurch
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Mechanical Engineering

Post by mpchurch »

Hi Megan,

Thanks for the questions!

Do you enjoy being a Mechanical Engineering?
Yes, of course. Being a mechanical engineer for a living brings exciting challenges. A Mechanical Engineer is also a very diverse engineer that can support a variety of fields such as Aerospace, Utilities and Power Generation, Oil and Gas, Renewable Energy, Manufacturing and Construction, etc. Not that money is everything, but a Mechanical Engineer is paid a good starting salary which makes all the hard work in college to learn and study to be an engineer worth it!

• Are there any challengers that you face? Engineers always face challenges. If things were easy, we wouldnt be needed. Engineers usually work together in teams where we put our heads together to solve touch problems.

• What is your favorite part of your job? The favorite part of my job is working on cutting-edge technology and watching the project I work launch into Space.

• Is there anything that you do that is out of the ordinary I work in Aerospace which is somewhat out of the ordinary. Like I said, Mechanical Engineers are diverse and we can design anything from writing pens to satellites. I'm currently working to build a satellite that will orbit the planet Mars in about 4 years. It will study the martian climate and try to figure out what changed Mars' climate.

• What is your favorite thing about Mechanical Engineering? I like the science behind Mechanical Engineering.... Physics. It is cool to model or simulate something on a computer based on the physics of the problem (material, shape, etc) and then watch that "something" perform like you modeled it in real life. We design all the parts of a spacecraft or satellite on the computer, then we build them, assembly them, and then test the spacecraft to make sure it works the way we expect it to.

Good Luck and Dream Big,

Marc

Return to “Careers in Science”