URGENT: Acknowledging a mentor

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

Abeert1994
Project Question: How do you correctly acknowledge the help of a mentor on the board?
Project Due Date: Tuesday November 30th
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

URGENT: Acknowledging a mentor

Post by Abeert1994 »

I worked with a mentor this year and i wanted to know how to correctly acknowledge her without going against ISEF rules or anything. Thanks!
AerospaceGuy
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: URGENT: Acknowledging a mentor

Post by AerospaceGuy »

Hello,

To properly cite a mentor, you need to make sure that he/she is listed in the works cited list on your project board and in your report. Also, be sure to parenthetically cite any information in your report and on your board which directly came from that mentor. For example, if the mentor's name is Hafez and the mentor told you a fact about aeronautics, you would cite the mentor in the following way:

"If lift is greater than weight, and if thrust is greater than drag, the aircraft is capable of flight (Hafez)."

In other words, make sure that the mentor's name is parenthetically inserted at the end of every direct piece of information for which that mentor was the source.

Does that answer your question?
O God, Thy sea is so great, and my boat is so small!
-Anonymous
nithintumma
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: URGENT: Acknowledging a mentor

Post by nithintumma »

Hello,

If you perform an experiment under the guidance of a mentor in an area outside of your home, you will have to fill out certain forms as a part of the ISEF registration process. Last year I worked in a hospital microbiology lab under one of the hospital microbiologists, and when I registered for ISEF my mentor had to sign a form stating that the project that I was presenting represented original work and that I followed all of the rules and regulations of the institution. At ISEF, you must display the form along with your abstract and other forms (if you worked with hazardous materials etc,) to be eligible for judging.

Hope this helps,
Nithin T.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”