URGENT: Need to know what my VARIABLES are. pleaseee!!!

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

cratliff7
Project Question: Do Crickets Outside tell you the actual temperature?
Project Due Date: Feburary 18th, 2011
Project Status: I am conducting my research

URGENT: Need to know what my VARIABLES are. pleaseee!!!

Post by cratliff7 »

Here is what i have:

Question is:
Do Crickets Outside tell you the actual temperature?

NEED HELP ----
The independent Variable in this experiment would be how the temperature is determined?????
The dependent variable in this experiment would be the temperature???
The controlled variable in this experiment would be.....???

Hypothesis:
If I count the number of chirps a cricket makes in 15 seconds, add 37 to that number, and compare it to the temperature given by a thermometer, then the temperatures will be accurate.

Materials:
The materials required for this experiment include:
♦ live crickets
♦ writing utensil
♦paper, to record data
♦ Stopwatch
☼ multiple evenings with a temperature range between 55°F and 100°F
♦ thermometer
♦ data

My conclusion options:
In conclusion, my hypothesis was legitimate; the cricket chirps were accurate to the real temperature.
In conclusion, my hypothesis was fallacious; the cricket chirps were not accurate to the real temperature.

My Procedure:
1. Gather the materials.
2. Determine the temp. By counting the # of chirps in a 15-second interval & add 37 to get the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Look at the thermometer and compare the data you recorded from chirps and see if they are similar.
4. Record the data each day, for a week.
barretttomlinson
Former Expert

Re: URGENT: Need to know what my VARIABLES are. pleaseee!!!

Post by barretttomlinson »

Hi,

For help on what your variables are please read the Science Buddies Project Guide on variables:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... bles.shtml

You will probably want to read the rest of the project guide as well:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ndex.shtml

It looks to me like your independent variable is the temperature as measured by a thermometer, the dependent variable is the estimated temperature based on cricket chirps. The controlled variables would be anything else that you might guess would affect the cricket chirping rate (maybe humidity or age of or specific individual crickets or ??). Please don’t rely on my statements here - this is your experiment and your judgments should be your own, not anyone elses.

Good luck and have fun!

Barrett L Tomlinson

Return to “Grades 9-12: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”